Saturday, November 3, 2012

[Review] An Oath of Servitude

Title: Oath of Servitude
Author: C. E. Wilson
Publication Date: September 15, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
Smashwords
Barnes & Noble

Review:
A spell-binding read about finding solace amidst adversity and love in the most unlikely of places.

I gave this story a nearly perfect rating because it deserves high praises. The storytelling is compelling, the characters have depth, and the story teaches us that admitting weakness and fear is not, in anyway, a sign of cowardice.

Personally, I've read stories about fae and fairies before, but this is the first time that I've ever read a story about pixies, or in the Oath of Servitude - pixi.

Unlike most fantasy stories which are premised on the main character fighting off the bad guys to save the world (and get the girl), Oath of Servitude focuses more on the effects of a past wrong done by the female lead character's mother (which by the way, was left vague throughout the whole book), and of course, on the blooming love between two very unlikely individuals.

For me, the best part of this story are the two main characters - Cailin and Teague. While both characters have their personal flaws, they slowly brought out the good in each other as the story progressed.

For Cailin, I was kind of annoyed with her during the first chapter when she was questioning her father's decision because she sounded like a whiny brat. However, as the story progressed, she grew and became this courageous and spunky woman who was not scared to admit her shortcomings.

As for Teague, well, he suffered mental and emotional anguish because of an unexpected accident, hence, he was introduced as a very scarred and troubled young man during the beginning. I think the author successfully described Teague's state of mental anguish in the story.

As for the reason why this story didn't get a perfect rating, well, I thought that the romance between Cailin and Teague was a little bit rushed. I would have preferred it if it was given more time. Also, I felt weird during the part where Teague decided to get out of his usual drunk state just because a female was staying with them. I personally thought it would take a little bit more coaxing for him to snap out of it, or if not coaxing, maybe a metaphorical kick and some spunky words from Cailin herself.

The things I pointed out which seemed weird to me were simply minor things compared to the totality of the novel taken as a whole. The whole story was a pure delight! I loved it. It made me squeal and smile, and worry for the characters. I highly recommend it for fans of young adult, fantasy novels!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...