Monday, April 14, 2014

[Book Review] The Virgin: Revenge & Redemption

The Virgin: Revenge
(Book 01)
By J. Dallas
November 4, 2013
Published by Spiral Bound
Contemporary Romance, New Adult


Links:


I was seventeen when I met Drake Gallagher. Seventeen, naive, foolish…and in love. Or so I thought. That summer, and the months that followed, set the course of my life. 
Ten years later, I’m still struggling to put the pieces of me back to together.
It’s time to stop struggling. It’s time to take control…and maybe, it’s time for a little revenge.
 
He doesn’t have time for naive little virgins? 
Well, I’m not naive anymore.I was seventeen when I met Drake Gallagher. Seventeen, naive, foolish…and in love. Or so I thought. That summer, and the months that followed, set the course of my life. 
Ten years later, I’m still struggling to put the pieces of me back to together.
It’s time to stop struggling. It’s time to take control…and maybe, it’s time for a little revenge.
 
He doesn’t have time for naive little virgins? 
Well, I’m not naive anymore.

Sometimes, the only way to move forward is to step back to the past and get it out of your system. This is what Shannon aims to accomplish when she decided to apply for a job at Gallagher Enterprise and this is what was told in Book 1.

I must say that while the revenge bit was a little overused, the concept of a virgin using her body as a weapon is unique and I was really looking forward to what Shannon would do. It's sort of an oxymoron because Shannon seemed like the kind of girl who's not afraid to use her sexuality for revenge, but the catch is that she's really a virgin.

The beginning of the story was really strong and it really raised my expectations for the events to follow. I love Shannon's no-nonsense attitude in handling Drake. I love how she never shows any sign of weakness despite the fact that Drake is a workaholic and he clocks in crazy hours at the office. I even like how she denies herself the pleasure of choosing an apartment which she could call home. This meant that she was goal-oriented and she didn't want anything to stand in her way.

As I read through the story though, it became apparent to me that the strong female I've come to appreciate at the beginning was a little weaker than I expected. I at least expected her to put in some serious resistance against Drake's charm, so I was a bit disappointed at the second half of Book 01. However, since the ending of Book 01 was open-ended, it made me want to continue to Book 02.

Another complaint is that the story for book 01 is too short. I would have preferred it if it was longer and with a far more tangible conflict between Drake and Shannon rather than just Shannon's anger.

- x o O o x - 

The Virgin: Redemption
(Book 02)
By J. Dallas
January 25, 2014
Published by Spiral Bound
Contemporary Romance, New Adult


Links:

They say revenge is a dish best served cold. Maybe that’s why my plans didn’t work out. Cold could never describe what I feel for Drake Gallagher. Still, after ten years of bitterness, ten years of hiding in the shadows, I’m not sure there’s any way to bridge the distance between us. Especially now. 
Running away seemed to be the best answer. So what am I supposed to do now that he’s found me again? Is it time to open up and tell him…everything? The safest thing to do would be push him away. But safety is an illusion. Nobody knows that better than I.
Book 02 continued smoothly where Book 01 left off. At this point in Drake and Shannon's story, their intertwined past is being slowly unfolded.

Truthfully, I was expecting Book 02 to bring in the bags of conflict that Book 01 seemed to have lacked. Again, this disappointed me because I really appreciate an intense conflict in a story. Sure, Shannon's anger towards Drake already stood at the center stage in Book 01. I expected something new in Book 02, but it's the same old story. Only now, Drake and Shannon are working out the kinks in their relationship.

This story also explains things from Drake's perspective and how Shannon was wrong about a lot of things all along. This also covers Shannon's acceptance that Drake wasn't the one to blame for everything that happened in the past. While the forgiveness and acceptance part was well-written, I felt that it was written too soon. I felt like Shannon forgave Drake too easily. I was expecting a little more angst, I guess.

My only reaction after reading Book 02 is that: what happens in Book 03 since Book 02 seemed have been ended with a cute little ribbon?

All in all, I felt that these two books shouldn't even have been released separately. In my opinion, it would have been better if they were released as one book instead of two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...