Thursday, April 10, 2014

[#amwriting] Why do I always do this?

Ahoy! Konnichiwa! Greetings!

I speak as both book blogger and author in this writerly-post. (Oh, sh*t! I'm an author now! I never really claimed being one before! ASDFGHJKL!!!) 

Aheemmm... Sorry.

Anyways, what I mean about the 'Why do I always do this?' title is the fact that I tend to keep my hobbies a secret from my mom but end up carelessly letting her know about it without really explaining myself.

Let me explain what I mean.

First, on being a book blogger.  I never really explained what I do online with my Mom. She just knows I've been reading a lot for many years now, and I also tend to spend a considerable time in front of my laptop. This is normal behavior for me but I never really explained what I really do. (The world wide web is an endless information gateway, and I confess to having a few tricks and life-hacks up my sleeve because of it.)

Then on October 2012, I started a book blog. I just thought that it would be really difficult to explain the mechanics of book-blogging, reviewing and getting e-galleys to her (I mean, she just learned how to use Gmail and Facebook back then!) so I decided against telling her about my book-blogging hobby. This was fine for a few months up to a year. Until books started arriving on our doorstep.
Since I started my book blog, a number of authors I've corresponded with has sent me a copy of their books and other goodies. (Seriously, who doesn't like free stuff?) My Mom receives most of the packages that are sent to me, and she opens them on her own (which I don't really mind). She has unearthed books, journals, tote bags, pens, and other goodies, and I let her have whatever item she asks for.

One time she asked me why stuff has been arriving for me, I just told her, "Those were sent by the authors whom I helped with their books." It was a very vague explanation. I didn't really know what to tell her.

Oh, and up to now, she still doesn't know I have a book-blog. All she knows is that books are being sent to on random intervals. *shrug* Maybe one of these days I'll really tell her what I've been up to. Well, if I get the chance.

Second, on being an author.

I started writing way back in high school. (That was such a long time ago. Almost 10 years? ZOMG! I am so old!) Like I've said, I spend a lot of time in front of my laptop. My Mom doesn't really know what I've been doing and I never really explain because I don't think she'd understand it.

I officially gave writing some serious attention in 2013. I released a novellete on Amazon, and contributed a short story on a YA-anthology which was released last February 2014. The same YA-anthology was featured on a national daily newspaper.

Last March, I submitted my story on Buqo for exclusive distribution through their mobile app. Correspondents and communications were mostly made through emails, and the story was officially released to the world on April 1, 2014.

Can you imagine that I've been doing this writing thing for almost ten years and my mom still has no whatsoever idea that I write?  (On the upside, this is proof that I can keep a secret.) Again, I withheld telling her about this hobby because telling her would require a lengthy explanation and I don't like explaining myself. I know, she's my mom. She's entitled to pry into every aspect of my life. I don't have anything to hide really.

Then this weekend, the contract for the exclusive distribution of my story with Buqo arrived. When I found it, the envelope has been opened and I knew that my mom read the contract.

You know how explicit a contract is with its terms? Yeap. It lists my name and the name of my story, and I have to sign it. And my mom saw everything.

Again, I didn't really tell her about my extracurricular activities as a writer, but she read the contract. And again, we never really talked about it, so until now, I don't know if she actually knows I write. (I don't want to think about how she'd react if she ever read my BuqoSteamyReads story. That would be really awkwwwaaaard. SERIOUSLY AWKWARD.)

This is what I always do. It's lying by omission. It has become a sort of habit, and sometimes I feel guilty for not telling my mom.

I know that my hobbies are pretty harmless, but I also know that it has plenty of room for misunderstanding. (Like what if my mom thinks I've been spending my allowance on books? Which is partly true, but I don't splurge all that much! Maybe.)

In the end though, I know my mom trusts me that's why she doesn't ask. And I really appreciate that. I have a pretty awesome mother. =)




3 comments:

  1. Haha. Great post. I do not tell my mom everything either, because she obviously would not understand. Haha. Congrats on being an author!

    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! I'm glad I'm not the only one! =) And thank you!

      Delete
  2. My mom actually does know about my blog.. she reads it. The reason I do like that though is because she will correct my grammar and spelling! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...