Tuesday, August 13, 2013

[Book Review] Complete Me

Complete Me (Stark Trilogy #3)
Author: J. Kenner
Date Published: July 30, 2013 
Publisher: Bantam (Random House)
Source: ARC
Genre: Erotica, Contemporary Romance

Rating: 

Links:
Goodreads
Barnes & Noble

Book Information:
This sexy, emotionally charged romance continues the story of Damien Stark, the powerful multimillionaire who’s never had to take “no” for an answer, and Nikki Fairchild, the Southern belle who only says “yes” on her own terms. 
Our desire runs deep. But our secrets cut close. Beautiful, strong, and commanding, Damien Stark fills a void in me that no other man can touch. His fierce cravings push me beyond the brink of bliss—and unleash a wild passion that utterly consumes us both. 
Yet beneath his need for dominance, he carries the wounds of a painful past. Haunted by a legacy of dark secrets and broken trust, he seeks release in our shared ecstasy, the heat between us burning stronger each day. 
Our attraction is undeniable, our obsession inevitable. Yet not even Damien can run from his ghosts, or shield us from the dangers yet to come.
Complete Me is an erotic romance intended for mature audiences.

I think it's but proper that Matt Bomer make an appearance.
I picture him as Damien Stark.
If you're interested, here are my reviews for 
the first two books in the Stark Trilogy:

Review:
'Against all odds' - this pretty much sums up Nikki and Damien's plight in the third and last book in the Stark Trilogy.

I was looking forward to reading the third installment in the Stark Trilogy series by J. Kenner because the first two books were highly rated. When I got approved to read the ARC, I felt like Christmas came waaaay too early for me! In my defense, both main characters grew on me so I can't simply NOT read the third book. Heh.

Now, for the review proper!

In this last installment in the book, we get a bunch of tangible and intense conflicts which threaten to break apart Nikki and Damien. What I liked best in this story was that the conflicts weren't only emotional. There were also external forces which posed a huge threat to Nikki and Damien.

For emotional conflicts, this was where everything blew over from the first two books.

Damien was too overbearing and too secretive, which gave rise to a whole lot of trust issues between him and Nikki. And of course, there's also fragile Nikki. She's not exactly as stable as most people perceive her to be. Damien served as her anchor but then, their relationship was racked by trust issues and noble idiocy, so the push to cut was really strong.

As for external conflicts, there's the issue of Damien's horrific childhood in the hands of his tennis coach, and the psychopathic woman who's trying to break apart Damien and Nikki. His empire is also being threatened by these forces, and he's left backed into a corner.

All the conflicts seriously gave the story a whole lot of angst and drama, but in fairness, I like how the author balanced everything with quiet moments between Nikki and Damien. The angst and the drama was perfectly blended with comfortable moments which could be considered as the calm moments before the storm.

What I didn't like, however, is the noble idiocy.

Sure, sacrificing for a loved one is considered selflessness, but sometimes, it's just absurd. In this case, I didn't like how Damien tried to be a noble idiot by leaving Nikki and going to Germany. Then just as they patched up, Nikki suddenly gets hit with the noble-idiocy-virus and leaves Damien to keep him safe. I just don't really like this plot device because I consider it stupid.

All in all, the happy ending in this third and last installment had been a long time coming. I really appreciate that Nikki and Damien finally got together minus the conflicts. They really went through a lot together, so when the happy ending came, I was really happy for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...