Thursday, June 6, 2013

[Book Review] Don't Read This Book

Title: Don't Read This Book
Author: Various
Edited by: Chuck Wendig
Date Published: June 2012
Publisher: Evil Hat Productions
Source: ARC
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Mystery, Horror
Rating:  

Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

About the Book:
Down a lonely alleyway, under a starless sky, lies a city that never was, yet is: the Mad City, where nightmares walk the streets, and a good night's sleep can get you killed. Here, then, is a book from that place.Within these recovered pages are the tales of the Awake, insomniacs who've walked those perilous streets, bringing a bit of the power of dream with them to fight back the night - always at a terrible cost. For many, it will not end well. For a few, they might just become heroes - or at least find their way back home. For you, a choice. Turn away. Don't read this book. And maybe you'll continue to rest easy. Or open the cover and enter a world unlike any you've ever dared to imagine! Don't Read This Book introduces 13 forbidden tales from the Mad City and the world of the Don't Rest Your Head RPG.
Review:
This one just put my nightmares into words! Richly haunting and spine-chilling!

There is a reason why little kids fear the dark and sleeping alone at night, and this book explores the idea of a world dancing between the brink of sleep and consciousness. In this book, such world is dubbed as the Mad City, an alternate dimension where nightmares are as real as they all get.

First of all, I'm a 'night person'. Even when I was a little kid, I always slept late (I also wake up late), and I always slept with the lights on. Growing up, I struggled with insomnia, so if I were to be asked if I could relate to the characters in the short stories in this book, the answer would be a huge YES.

Reading the short stories in this book reminded me of the childhood fears I outgrew, such as the monster beneath the bed, and creatures that move through the night. I love how each of the story contributes a little to paint the gruesome world of Mad City.

There are thirteen tales in this book but I can't possible review all of them, so I'll just mention a few that really stuck with me. The first which I really liked is the one entitled Don't Be Your Father. I really love the twist at the end when the father became the very thing that he wished to protect his daughter from.

I also liked Don't Forget Your Kids. The idea of being able to use memories as a means of exchange is brilliant. Plus, I also like how creepy the story was told. It's a little bit sad, but it's creepy as well so I liked it.

And my most favorite one out of the thirteen short stories is the very last one: Don't Chew Your Food. I loved the twist at the end! The monsters who were supposed to be the predators got what they deserved when they encountered something way out of their league. It was the perfect blend of fear and unexpected twist!

All in all, I really enjoyed this collection of short stories! It was definitely effective in giving me the creeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...