Monday, March 17, 2014

[Book Review] Vampires Need Not Apply


Vampires Need Not... Apply?

By Mimi Jean Pamfiloff

September 3, 2013
Published by Forever Yours
Fantasy, Paranormal Romance


Links:

This is book 4 in the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Accidentally Yours paranormal romance series.

Meet Dr. Antonio Acero. Heir to Spain's wealthiest family, world-renowned physicist, and dedicated bachelor. While on vacation in southern Mexico, Antonio discovers an ancient Mayan tablet. Local legends say it contains magical properties, properties that could put his stalling research on the map.

But is this really his lucky break?

When Antonio attempts to put the tablet to use, he'll discover that Fate has other plans. Her name is Ixtab, and she's quite possibly the deadliest deity who ever lived.

Just for the record, I haven't read any of the books in the Accidentally Yours series, of which this book is a part of. This is book 4 into the series, and my first one. I know it's not practical to start reading the 4th book in a series, but when I requested this book to review, I didn't know that it was already the 4th book. I felt that I had to justify my review by stating the above facts before giving my opinion as regards this book.

First off, to be honest, I was thrown off because of the many characters. As I've said I haven't read any of the books in the series so this totally knocked me out and not in a good way. There were to many characters and too many intersecting plotlines and storylines of different characters that it was a little hard for me to take note of who's who and what's what.The fact that I read the fourth book in a series without starting from the beginning really affected my enjoyment of this book. 

As for the main story in this book featuring Dr. Antonio Acero and Ixtab, I found their storyline a little surreal. Many times during reading, I kept pausing and asking myself 'What did I just read?'. I found Dr. Acero a little off-putting. I didn't really like him all that much as a character. Oh, but Ixtab! I love her! I love how she tries to help the people around her despite being labeled negatively. She's compassionate and kind despite her unfair treatment, and for that I really liked her.

All in all, despite the confusing plotline and characters, there's one gem in this book that I really liked and that is Ixtab. Given a chance, I would really love to get to know her more and the other characters from the series from the beginning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...