Wednesday, March 19, 2014

[Book Review] Dan Taylor is Giving Up On Women

Dan Taylor is Giving Up On Women
By Neal Doran
September 16, 2013
Carina Press
Contemporary Romance


Links:

Perpetually single Dan Taylor is so terrible at meeting women his own mother suspects he might be gay. So best friends - and smug married couple - Hannah and Rob insist he needs some serious man management. Taking matters into their own hands, they decide to make him their 'Project' and set to work on finding him a girlfriend - one that might actually stick around long enough to meet his mother. A new wardrobe, a better haircut and a slick online profile later and an unwitting Dan is ready to be launched on the London dating scene. But miracles don't just happen, and when he does achieve some success with women, it's not in the way anyone expected.

This book features a lovable protagonist whose disastrous dating life is going to tickle you good!

I love Dan! He's a great guy, but he's not exactly someone who could easily be noticed by most girls. He's like the beta-male who's often overlooked and ignored, often settling for the role of being wingman by the sidelines. He's the kind of guy that girls like as friends, but never as the boyfriend, which is just unfortunate because Dan is a great guy.

The plot was simple enough but it was the hi-jinks in Dan's dates that really made this story stand out! I love how Dan continues to date despite the failures and embarrassments he's experienced, which says a lot about him. As for Hannah and Rob, I liked Hannah. She was like a mother hen to Dan. She always guided him and gave him useful tips for his dates. As for Rob, I simply didn't like the guy. He just rubs me wrong for some reason. Well, there's also the fact that he's a little sleazy.

Half-way through the story, I had an inkling at where it was going. Judging from the comfortable closeness between Hannah and Rob, and their back story, I had a feeling that their marriage was going through a crisis. It was like they married to early and settled too comfortably with each other that the spark in their marriage simply snuffed out. Truthfully, I was also able to predict the ending early. I hoped it wasn't like I predicted, but it was and it's done so I can't do anything about it.

I think you can't really fault Hannah for ditching Rob, but I was hoping that they could have tried harder to keep their marriage. And as much as I love Dan, cheating is still cheating no matter the reason and no matter the excuse. This is that one point in the story which really made me feel dissatisfied with the ending. I liked Hannah, I love Rob, but I feel that they could have tried to do what's right before surrendering to what they felt. Maybe it's just me, but this aspect of the story really felt negative for me.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I know authors shouldn't comment on reviews of their books, but I wanted to say thanks for the thoughtful considered opinion on Dan Taylor. I was actually really glad you picked up on the moral dilemma in the story, as I've always considered it a 'should they/shouldn't they?' book, rather than a 'will they/won't they?'. If I ever get to do a sequel the consequences of Dan and Hannah's actions are certainly going to be at the fore!

    If I could ask one thing -- is it possible for you to maybe put a spoiler alert on the GoodReads review? I'm really glad it's there, but it does reveal the ending and I'd hope to be able to keep readers guessing for at least a little while...

    Thanks for your help, and thanks for reading and reviewing!

    Neal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...