Monday, November 4, 2013

[Book Review] Taliesin Ascendant

Taliesin Ascendant
(Book 2 of the Children of the Blood)
by Megan Joel Peterson
July 27, 2013
Young-Adult, Fantasy

Links:
Goodreads // Amazon // Barnes & Noble

Book Info:
The war isn't over. 
And new enemies await.

Life on the run hasn't been easy, but so far, Ashe has survived. But now Carter has ordered her to leave the Hunters and find her family's people – an order she can't refuse, no matter how much she wants to stay.

Following his command will bring her into an unknown world, however – a world filled with new enemies and old prejudices that will demand more of her than she can imagine, at a cost higher than she'll ever be willing to pay.
Rating:
★★★★

Review:
A thrilling follow-up to an action-packed Book 1! Relationships and alliances are stirred and Queen Ashe stands with a brave heart in the midst of a three-way war!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to write a review as soon as finished reading this book. Too many things came up one after another that I just couldn't find the time to write one, but no worries, I'm determined to express the joy that I felt while reading this book.

Taliesin Ascendant follows-up straight after The Children and the Blood (Book 1). We see more of the ruling structure of the Merlins and how they rule their kind, as well as of the Taliesins. More background information about the Merlins, the Taliesins and the Bloods are explained. I appreciate that not everything was revealed at once. I actually like that the history is explained little by little. It keeps things intriguing and keeps me guessing. Ha!

I'd have to say that there is no shortage of cruelty and greed in this book. I was especially saddened by how the crippled were treated when Ashe had been doing her best to help them. It's a little depressing, to be honest, but I understand that hopeless situations bring out the real character of a person. In the middle of all of the chaos and despair are Ashe, Lily and Cole, simply trying to survive while trying to make sense of everything that's happening to them. Of course Queen Ashe needs to experience several trials first before she becomes the awesome Queen that she's destined to be!

While this book was told from different perspectives, I really appreciate that it focused more on Ashe. After reading the first book in the series, I've been very vocal about looking forward to seeing how awesome she is going to be once she gets a grasp of her powers. And I was right! ASHE ROCKS!! I love her as a character! She was very different from the mediocre farm-girl from Book 1!

I also love Lily and how she's holding up despite her tender age. I was really happy when she and Ashe finally reunited! And what an awesome alliance they have together with Cole. Well, I understand that Cole is being mostly useless for being a cripple but I'm still hoping that a twist of fate could also give him powers so that he, Ashe and Lily could kick ass! *ahemmm... Dear Author, if you are listening... This is but a humble request.*

I highly recommend this book for fans of young-adult, action-adventure stories and those who wish to see a different kind of wizards that the one we're all used to! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...