Tuesday, September 17, 2013

[Book Review] This Girl

This Girl
Author: Colleen Hoover
Date Published: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Atria Books
Source: ARC
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance


Links:
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes & Noble


Rating: ★★★★★


Book Information:
There are two sides to every love story. Now hear Will’s.

Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from hispoint of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.

Just that I swooned. Shut up. T////T
Review:
I have no words. This book has left me speechless, but with a crazy silly smile on my face after I finished reading it. (For the record, I do not like it when I swoon because I look like an abnormal banshee having a seizure.)

First off, let me make a disclaimer: I have not read any of the books in Colleen Hoover's Slammed series. This Girl is my first of hers, so I don't have any idea on what to expect. With that cleared up, I suppose I should proceed to the review.

There are books which tug hearts (think John Green's The Fault in Our Stars or Nicholas Sparks' A Walk to Remember), and there are books which leave you with disgustingly mushy feelings that you don't want to have but couldn't help it. Colleen Hoover's This Girl is of the second type. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

Believe me when I say that I have read too many romance novels. Ever since I started a book blog last year, I've been drowned in too many romance novels that every story I read started to sound the same.

Except this one.

Story-wise, This Girl is just like your typical romance novel. Actually, it is exactly your typical romance novel. But what makes it so special are its characters, and the way that the author unfolds the story within each scene. It's hard to describe, so I highly recommend reading the book instead.

Secondly, I don't want to put spoilers in my review, but I just want to say that this book rocked my socks off and gave me a dose of feels that will probably last me until next year. Reading this also made me want to fall in love, as alien as that sounds for me. Good thing I caught myself before I did something silly! (Like say, look for a local poetry group and slam my heart out? Hah!)

Also, I'd say that writing a romance novel from a guy's point of view without sounding like a girl is a rare feat. I enjoyed reading Will's thoughts as he recounted his memories of Lake. On that note, can the Wills of the world just, you know, show yourself up? I kid, I kid! =)

One of my most favorite things in this book is the poetry. I love how the poems express complex emotions and explain things that are hard to say. I especially loved the part of Will's poem where he made a wordplay on Lake's name by saying "so you keep your ocean, I'll take the Lake". It was one of the scenes that truly made me swoon.

For me, for a book to make me swoon - that's a compliment of the highest kind, because I don't swoon. I rave, I rant but I very rarely swoon. This is the biggest reason why I gave This Girl five stars out of five. Also, this book gave me a high that went on for about three days so yeah, the high ratings reflected that.

All in all, for readers who wish to have a dose of swoon, I highly recommend This Girl by Colleen Hoover!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...