Saturday, April 15, 2017

[Book Review] Unexpectedly Hers


Unexpectedly Hers
Jamie Beck
Contemporary Romance

Rating:

Where do I even begin? Hmmm... I've never read any of Jamie Beck's previous works, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Anyways, what really convinced me to pick this book to review was the heroine.

Emma is such a walking contradiction. She's prim, proper, dependable, and practically the proverbial 'good girl', but hot damn, she's also an erotica writer. haha!

The beginning of the story was slow, but I liked the pace because it provided a realistic romance build-up between Emma and Wyatt. Though of course, I was dying of waiting by the time they actually got into each other's pants. Still, the waiting was worth it. 
I also liked that the love story was character-driven rather than employing an ineffective love triangle as a hurdle to the main couple. The conflicts between Emma and Wyatt about Ryder and their differences in opinions and personalities were believable. It was interesting to see both their points of view, and understand that both aren't necessarily wrong, but also not completely correct. 

I didn't like Mari though I understand her motivations. Still, as someone who is as private as Emma, I can relate as to why Emma didn't like Mari. I also prefer the things I consider as important to be private, and as long as I don't step on anybody's toes, whatever makes me happy is my business.

I also didn't like Mari's mother. While I would have cheered like a banshee if Mari stood up to her mother properly, the fact that she slowly revealed her secret was much more consistent with her personality. She's a nurturer and a placater, and I think that a great confrontation with her mother, while satisfying, would be out of character.

All in all, this was a really enjoyable story with a satisfying ending, and I was rooting for Emma and Wyatt to end up together through and through. 

Links:

By day, bashful wallflower Emma Duffy works at her family’s bed-and-breakfast. By night, she secretly pens erotic romance hot enough to melt the snow in their cozy Rockies town. 
But Emma’s real life is about to heat up when her mother books the entire inn to a professional snowboarder, hoping the publicity will put them on the map. In a karmic twist of fate, that guest is Wyatt Lawson, the man with whom Emma had shared the secret one-night stand that became the inspiration for her novel and its dreamy hero. 
Worse, a film crew is documenting his comeback just as her debut is about to hit the shelves. Emma’s only saving grace is that Wyatt doesn’t remember her—and hopefully he never will. 
When Wyatt arrives in Sterling Canyon for several weeks of intense training, the last tumble he expects to take is falling for a girl, especially one as shy as Emma. Unlike groupies with their hidden agendas, she isn’t using him—or so he believes…until the film crew uncovers Emma’s pen name and steamy novel. 
Wyatt’s comeback run can withstand a fall or two, but can his heart recover from this crash and burn?


Jamie Beck is a Romance Writers of America Honor Roll author with a passion for writing stories about love and redemption, including her best selling St. James and Sterling Canyon series. When she's not writing, you can find her dancing around her kitchen or hitting the slopes in Utah and Vermont. Above all, she's a grateful wife and mother to a very patient and supportive family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...