Thursday, February 4, 2016

[Feature Filipino] Book Review: One Night At The Palace Hotel


One Night At The Palace Hotel
by Bianca Mori
February 14, 2014
New Adult, Contemporary Romance, Short Story

I was given a copy of the story for free in exchange for a review. It's a short story, and a quick read, so I said yes.

To be honest, I was a bit put off by the beginning of the story. Everything sounded so... superficial. I honestly don't know if there are any others who felt the same, but I'm pretty sure I was really put off. Nonetheless, I continued reading, because even if the background of the main character was off-putting, it was still interesting enough.

A family desperately clinging on to a family name, and a legacy that has long been rendered obsolete was pathetic, but the good thing was that the heroine recognized the futility of her family's actions. I was surprised at how much Consuelo was willing to bend over for what her family wanted. I had to resist the urge to bang my head in frustration several times over the course of reading this story. It wasn't funny how I wanted to shake Consuelo up to straighten her head. Then again, while she may be pliant and obedient at the beginning of the story, there was definitely growth in the latter part.

All in all, this story is solid despite its length. It'll be frustrating, and maddening at times, but it's a good read!

Note: The schedule for this blog post was supposed to be on or before January 31, 2016. In all complete honesty, the deadline flew out of my head. I didn't realize I missed it until I checked my email for posting details again. I apologize for my blunder.  



Links:
It's the night before The Palace Hotel opens, and the entire city is abuzz with what everyone is calling a throwback to the Gilded Age. Everyone, that is, except Consuelo De la Red. Faced with a destiny picked out for her and a dream she just can't forget, she confronts the choices she has made and the man she was forced to reject. When the past comes crashing into the present, will she listed to her duty, or give in to the urging of her heart?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...