Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Best Reads in 2013

For The Year 2013

I've already recapped the highlights of 2013 for me as a book blogger, so now, I think it's but right to list the books which gave me epic thrills and feels in the year 2013.

I need to mention that making this list was VERY hard. I read a lot of great books in the year 2013 and it's just to hard to choose which are the best!

My Top 5 Picks are:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - This book is a highly recommended read. It's touching and sweet, and just plain epic. The amount of quotable quotes and feels in this book ensured it a spot in my Best Reads for 2013. Oh, and Augustus Waters is a huge part of the reason, too. (Now, that upcoming movie better NOT disappoint or I shall really throw a big tantrum. This serves as a warning.)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - How do I even begin to describe the delight that is this book? Hmmm. Well, let me just say that the female protagonist, Cather, holds a special place in my heart. Why? Because she's like a fictional version of me. Well, I don't write BL (Boy Love a.k.a. M/M fanfiction) but fanfiction is such a familiar place for me.

This Girl by Colleen Hoover - The feels! This book made me swoon. Nuff said. (For the record, I do NOT swoon. I rant, I rave, but I do not normally swoon. This book was the exception.)

Courting Greta by Ramsey Hootman - The dark horse! This novel broke fictional conventions by having very flawed individuals as main characters, and I don't mean just mentally or emotionally flawed characters. I mean physical. This goes against most heroes and heroines in novels who are mostly described as handsome, pretty, hot, or intense. Kudos to Ramsey Hootman for creating such a masterpiece!

The Real Score by Kesh Tanglao - (Yes, Miss Kesh, your book is really included in my Best List.) This novel made me write hate tweets against the author at three o'clock in the morning. That is how much this story affected me. The emotional roller coaster ride in this book kept me awake and in a manic mood swing all night long. Hence the hate tweets. Hee. Good thing author Kesh Tanglao is awesome!

Fiction Gems!
These books are great reads and they need more love from readers!


Cover (Story) Girl by Chris Mariano

I happen to love KDramas so this was a treat! Oh, and the beach setting was perfect for the interracial romance, too!




Claim Me, Release Me and Complete Me (The Stark Trilogy) by J. Kenner

Intense characters, and great balance between calm moments and plot twists.
Plus, you have to admit, Damien Stark really knows how to take care of his lady.


The Temple Dogs by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy

Violent and gory yet fascinating! The intermingling of Western Mafia versus the Eastern Yakuza makes for a very thrilling read!



Vintage Love by Agay Llanera

The bit about looking presentable as a form of public service was like an arrow straight to my gut. I don't really take that much care of how I look. haha!





Interim Goddess of Love, Queen of the Clueless and Icon of the Indecisive
(Interim Goddess of Love Trilogy) by Mina V. Esguerra

A love story entwined with Philippine folklore, and with a modern setting! The idea is just brilliant!! The ending wasn't what I hoped for, but I felt that it was proper. I felt vindicated. 


All's Fair in Blog and War by Chrissie Peria

Egg tarts, bungee jumping and a love-hate relationship between two people in a foreign country makes a very delicious recipe for romance!





The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Who could resist an eccentric and socially-inept male character? Personally, I can't! Plus, it's fun to read about such character stumbling into unfamiliar territory, most especially with a woman. haha!



Happy New Year, Everyone!
I wish you more books, more blessings and more love in 2014!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad 2013 was such a good year, at least book-wise for you!! :) Also, I'm so glad I met you. Someday, face-to-face na?! I'm a little thrilled Kesh's book is here. Hehe. You know why!! :) I know about your secret project with the two authors. I'm psyched to read that as well! Sabi ni A ako raw naisip nya dun sa theme nyo. Wahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...